Thursday, May 24, 2012

the painter, the baker, and the jewelry maker

I think I can safely say I will never be a butcher or a candlestick maker, but in joining Pinterest I have embarked on more DIY projects than I ever thought I would. It's just that there are so.many. cool things to try. AND it just seems so fool proof... there is this photo of how this awesome thing will turn out...AND step by step photos and then the kicker is all the comments below from these random Pinning people who sort of seem like my friends and they all say oh I LOVE this and oh this was so great and easy and on and on. So some of my awesome things have turned out awesome though usually require more work than I thought from the easy peasy photos. Then I admire my awesome thing and sometimes my husband and friends do too, and then I just smile graciously and say "Oh, I just found it on Pinterest" like I magically pulled it out of the computer while in real life my house is covered in flour or beads or paint. Well, I do love to Pin still but the funny thing about that site is that you do seem to think b/c you get one thing right that you can do all the things. My mom always did say pride comes before the fall. But that's ok, don't worry friends, I'm not getting too prideful over here b/c I'm falling a lot. Let's take for instance how last night I thought I was a pretzel maker just b/c I've always admired how they do it at Auntie Anne's. How DO THEY DO it at Auntie Anne's?? It looks really easy and it is not- nope it's a no go. In fact, I thought it would be this fun activity to kick off summer break but I was left alone with my flour and water baking soda bath (for the pretzels sadly). And Michael passed by long enough to say that what I was doing really looked like a huge pain. And I replied that yes, yes it was. Well, I'll just take this as a life lesson. We can't be good at everything. I've always been a bit jealous of the people who figure out what they are good at right from the start because my figuring out has been a very long process. Ah- this is a good segway to talking about  trying to help my kids figure out what they are good at or just what they like or what can they do (besides watching Spongebob) that they will be so immersed in that I can get something done for myself. Well, for B so far it's baseball. Natalie has had a long and complex career in trying things like soccer and cheerleading and swim, but she has really found a love for riding horses and even more lately ice skating. So don't worry friends I shall continue to pin, and maybe one day my children will tell their children who will tell their children about my famous bread/cookie/salad/soup recipes, and how I always had the best ideas for at home fun, not to mention they will inherit a really hilarious and random art collection and it will all be because I pinned.

2 comments:

  1. I can see this all happening in my head, I love it...i'm glad you pin but let's get real you do some pretty creative stuff at your house without pinterest...in the words of someone we both know "you like to engage your right brain". I love that you are the most creative person I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?! The most?? Well, I do love my right brain. :)

    ReplyDelete