Wednesday, June 29, 2011

playin' in the dough



Play doh has been on my list of things we "needed" for awhile, but I always forget to buy some. Anyway, in a fit of desperation I googled things to do with kids in the summer and found this recipe for play doh. I've seen the homemade kind that is sort of rough and does not look fun to play with, but this turned out pretty smooth and half the fun was in making our own. I tried to make red but it looked like raw hamburger meat (gag), so I added blue then it looked like a brain, so more red and blue and red and blue and Ben pronounced it the color of poop. Sigh, my color did not turn out so well but the others did and they loved the one we only added sprinkles to. Here's the recipe:
2 cups flour
2 cups warm water
1 cup salt
2 Tablespoons veg. oil
1 Tablespoon cream of tarter

Put in large saucepan and cook over low heat until it pulls together and is no longer sticky. Let cool and knead until smooth. Then fold in food coloring being careful not to touch the coloring until it is kneaded in. I did the best I could but I got a little careless and looked like I'd just been in surgery (as the surgeon).

No comments:

Post a Comment