Wednesday, July 14, 2010

It's the litte things

I love the Lord for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live. Psalm 116:1-2

The best buy I've made this year is some animal days of the week underwear for Natalie from Gymboree about a month ago. Yes, you heard me right. I take great comfort in this repetition of animals. In waking up knowing it's Turtle Tuesday again or Seahorse Saturday. It somehow makes the weeks go faster. The bonus is that Natalie loves them and can't wait to wear the next day's animal, so whether she's had a bath or not at least I know she has on clean undies. And yes, my kids do get baths I'm just a bit off my routine not having our own house and me being the size of a house. I thought this summer would be really hard, and though the pregnant part does make it hard, it has been fun in so many ways and like a strange vacation from normal life. Who knew what strange treasures of joy waited for me at my parent's house? Like when my kids jump on my mom's mountain-like clothes piles (which upsets her greatly),and then she chases them around with a spanking hand. I mean it really is a stick with a leather hand. I know I should intervene but the whole situation leaves me literally incapacitated with laughter.
Our theme for this week in the Bible study I'm doing was thanksgiving, and I do have to say praising the Lord really does change everything around. I found myself this week grumbling about how uncomfortable I was/am, and then stopped and thought of what I have and how much I have to be thankful for. Then that day I kept getting phone calls from people who had harder things going on, and found I had even more to be thankful for than I thought. In the book we're reading the author says that the words praise the Lord are the most powerful words in the Bible. I thought of Hallie's name and how it means praise the Lord and how ironic it is that I'm reading about this as she's about to be born. How appropriate as my children are one of the things I praise God the most for.

No comments:

Post a Comment